- Living & Visiting
- Residential Grants & Loans
- Residential Exterior Improvement Program
Residential Exterior Improvement Program
Applications are due the first Monday in April every year.
The Common Council approved the creation of the Residential Exterior Improvement Program at their meeting on February 19, 2019. The program will provide matching grants up to $5,000 to residential property owners for exterior improvements to their homes.
The purpose of the program is to encourage the upkeep and appearance of residential homes, as well as mitigate the presence of blighted properties, within the residential districts of the community.
In order to qualify, the property and applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The home must be over 25-years old.
- The home owner must have owned and lived in the home for at least 5-years.
- The assessed value of the home cannot be over 125% of the average assessed home value in the City of Milton, as established by the City Assessor on an annual basis.
- Be located in the "designated area" defined as residential properties within TID 7, 9 and 10 or within a half-mile of the boundaries of TID 6, 9, or 10 that are located within the City of Milton. Properties located within one half-mile of TID 7 may be eligible for the program as well, but would require an additional approval from the Joint Review Board. See map below and at end of the program guidelines.
The following projects are eligible to receive funding:
- Any improvements must be visible from the public right-of-way.
- Repair/replacement of the building’s original materials and decorative details.
- Replace exterior material with modern material (i.e. vinyl siding).
- Cleaning of exterior building surfaces.
- Tuck pointing and masonry repair.
- Painting of exterior building surfaces.
- Repair of entrances, doors, windows, transoms, or other public exterior elements that have fallen into disrepair (broken, damaged, missing, etc.). If repair isn’t possible or cost prohibitive, the Community Development Authority will consider, with final approval from the Common Council, replacement rather than repair of the these items.
- Roof repairs
- Replacement of non-hard surface driveways (gravel, grass, etc.) with hard surface materials (asphalt, concrete, pavers, etc.)
- Removal of tree stumps that are located in the front or side setbacks, or terrace.
- Other construction activities to improve the exterior of a building as approved by the Common Council.
The property owner needs to submit an application to the Community Development Authority (CDA) to review, and then the CDA will forward a recommendation on to the Common Council.
The program information states Council may authorize the use of up to $25,000 from Tax Incremental District (TID) funds on an annual basis for the program.
If there are any questions about the program, please contact City Administrator Al Hulick at (608) 868-6900 ext. 6.